Welcome to the Luminotes general forum!

1 2 3 | next

Welcome to the Luminotes general forum!

You can discuss any Luminotes general topics here. This is a public discussion forum, so please keep that in mind when posting. And have fun.

Bliki

I'm loving Luminotes for it's clear, simple, and intuitive user interface.
I would love to have the Wiki combined combined with a Blog, like SnipSnap for instance did some time ago, thus making in a Bliki.
The Blog functionality is already here, please, let us use it...

Thanks Dan

New user but really enjoying it so far.  Dan has been very responsive to virtually every issue I have had.

A

Blog mode for Luminotes

essig: The functionality I use for the official Luminotes blog is pretty rudimentary, but I could definitely clean it up and make it available for public consumption if there is interest. Actually, what might be more appropriate is for me to generalize the new forum code that you're using right now so that it also works for blogs. A blog could basically work just like a forum except with a single author allowed.

The real issue, though, is making the blog public. I'm assuming, essig, that you don't want to write a blog solely for your own private benefit. :) And you probably don't want to have to invite people individually so that they can have access to your blog. So what really needs to happen is the ability to make Luminotes notebooks (or at least blogs) completely public. That's a bigger project, but definitely on my to-do list.

aquaman: Welcome, and I'm glad to hear you're enjoying Luminotes thus far. :)

Dan

"moving" notes between notebooks

Hi, Dan- great, clean implementation of a wiki for note-taking!

Question: how do I move or reassign notes between notebooks? (might be hard to believe, but I do occasionally change my mind...  :-)

Thanks!
lafnbear
David Albee

moving notes

lafnbear: Thanks. :) There isn't yet a feature to move notes from one notebook to another, but I'd like to add that soon. Until then, there's always standard cut-and-paste. Please post here or email if you think of any other features you'd like to see!

Dan

Web clipper... Please!

I currently use Evernote, onlyI because it provides such an excellent content clipper. However I prefer the structure and logic of Luminote and use it more as I get used to it. If it had a content clipper like Evernote, it would be true winner. Plus, that extra available content would max out the need for the extra chargeable storage space! That would be good for you too!

What d'ya think Dan?

Web clipper

I actually haven't played with Evernote's web clipper before, but I'd be very open to adding some sort of web clipping functionality to Luminotes. Can you briefly describe what aspects of the web clipping feature you're looking for? In other words, what series of steps would you like to go through to make web clippings, and how would you expect Luminotes to respond?

Thanks,
Dan

Web clipper

Hi Dan, Web clippers are typically an addon or plugin in a browser like Firefox that can be invoked from a new item in the right click menu. Alternatively, you can add a button in the browser menu bar that activates the clipper.

When a user sees a web page with some content that they want to keep as a note, they left mouse click and drag over the text and/or images to highlight it. Then while highlighted, they activate the clipper through the right click menu, or browser button. The content highlighted on the page is then automatically copied and inserted into a new note in the background, along with the URL of the page as a reference. Typically the URL is clickable afterwards. 

If a user decides they want the whole web page as a note, in evernote, nothing is highlighted by the user and only the clipper is activated. This is interpreted as a whole page copy for a new note. Some alternative software interprets no highlighting as ONLY a bookmark. In this case the URL is copied, along with the page title and with any description that may be available in the meta tags. I guess it's up to you how you want that optiopn to work. I guess you can get all fancy and build in options in the clipper interface. I think , probably  with the principles of Luminotes this needs to be pretty simple, the bookmark option seems good to me as some web pages can copy in a messy way, especially if stylesheets are hidden.

The other consideration is where you store the new note that has been just created by the clipper. One option is to make clipper notes in the active wiki, or allow users to make a clipper wiki that always receives new web clips. From there they can re-arrange the content to other wikis at liesure.

A further extension of the web clipper idea is to build the clipper into the windows right click shell as well as the browser add-on. The operation is exactly the same as the browser version, except it works in windows apps as well as the browser.

If a user is only using the online version of Luminotes, they really need to be logged in so that the browser addon can use the session details to allow access to the wiki. If they have a local version as well, that should become the default if they are not logged in online, to save rejecting the clippings. In evernote, local and online versions can synchronise content both ways, but that's a major step I guess.

Firefox provides some good APIs for plugin addon development, so that seems a good place to start

That was ment to be a short concise post. Ah .. well, some ideas to play with. Happy to run some beta tests if you follow this one up.

Richard

Web clipper

Richard,

These are all great ideas, and I appreciate you taking the time to post them here. I'll look into writing such a browser extension as time permits. I would definitely like to add Luminotes Desktop online synchronization as well. It's a big project, but it would make Luminotes Desktop even more useful.

I think the trickiest part with web clipping is handling the formatting of the clipped text. Luminotes intentionally limits the formatting that it makes available in order to keep things simple, so Luminotes would probably have to strip out much of the formatting of any clipped web page text. But things like bold, italics, etc should be retained.

By the way, you can currently cut and paste snippets of web pages into Luminotes right now. It's not nearly as convenient as the web clipping feature you propose, but it is one way to save pieces of web pages.

Dan

To write a comment, please login first. No account? Sign up to get a free account.

1 2 3 | next

posts 29 total